The Kenya Maritime Authority( KMA) has partnered with the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) to set up the Maritime Education and Training Scheme (METS) to offer financing to students pursuing courses in the Maritime Sector being offered at Bandari Maritime Academy, Kenya Coast National Polytechnic, Kisumu Maritime Centre and other Maritime Training Institutions (METI) approved by Kenya Maritime Authority (KMA).
Scheme products and eligible Students
Students enrolled in approved METI’s and are applying for the second and subsequent Maritime Education Scheme-Academic Loan
Applicants must be pursuing Craft certificate and Diploma in Nautical Science and Marine Engineering
How To Apply
- Download the HELB App from Google Play Store or use USSD Code by dialing 642#
- Register using your phone number to generate a PIN which you will use to log in.
- Ensure the mobile number is registered under your name. Please NOTE that mobile numbers not registered in the student’s name will not be able to proceed with the application.
- Read, understand and click to accept the license agreement.
- Enter your first name as it appears on your national ID card, the ID number and valid email address to complete registration.
- Click on the “loans” tab and choose Certificate/ Diploma. Then click “apply” on the Maritime Academic subsequent loan.
- Read and understand the process tutorial and proceed to read the financial literacy guide.
- Click on get started to start the application process.
- Enter your phone number which should be registered in your name and national ID number to verify that you are the owner of that number.
- Read and understand the loan terms and condition and agree to proceed.
- Answer the financial literacy questions and scroll down to view results and click “proceed”.
- Select your preferred loan payment option.
- Click request loan to view and verify your loan details.
- Click “submit” to complete the loan application. A pop-up message will appear to show that you have successfully applied. The loan serial number will also be displayed.
At later dates, you will receive other notifications on awards and disbursements of tuition loans.
#KaaChonjo Do not be conned. The Application is Free. In case of any queries seek assistance from only HELB or Kenya Maritime Authority officers.
The closing date for the loan application is 30th June 2023.
This application is paperless. You are not required to print any form. A confirmation SMS with a loan application serial number is the evidence that you have applied. Kindly save the SMS for future reference.